Responsibilities and Services
The mission of the Public Works Department is to provide and maintain the highest quality public works services and facilities for the residents and businesses of the City of Bloomfield.
Public Works is made up of the following Departments, which operate under the direction of the City Engineer/Public Works Director:
- ⇛ Municipal Operations Center
- ⇛ Water Treatment
- ⇛ Water Reclamation (Wastewater Plant)
- ⇛ Parks and Recreation
- ⇛ Aquatic Center
This department is also responsible for the general management, operation and care of the City's infrastructure.
A total of 26 employees make up these departments. Working together, Public Works is responsible for the following:
- Public Right of Way Maintenance, including streets, alleys, sidewalks, curbs, curb ramps, and drainage features.
- Traffic control devices and signs.
- Weed and vector control.
- Street sweeping, snow, ice, and flood control.
- Street Cut (i.e. Right of Way Excavation) Permits and Inspection.
- Raw water storage, water treatment and distribution.
- Sewage collection and Water Reclamation.
- Parks and grounds maintenance and improvements, irrigation, and recreation activities.
- Aquatic Center maintenance, operation, and improvements.
- Facility maintenance, repairs, and improvements.
- Fleet Maintenance.
- Line Spotting.
Public Works is also responsible for:
- Planning, prioritizing and developing the Infrastructure Capital Improvement Plan (ICIP).
FY23-27 ICIP Report (PDF 808 KB)
- Pavement maintenance plan.
- Grant writing and management.
- Capital Project Management, including planning, design, bidding, construction, inspection, and commissioning.
- Planning improvements for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance.
- Technical Committee Membership of the Farmington Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).
- Membership in the San Juan Basin Stormwater MS4 Advisory Group.
- Traffic Engineering, Signal Coordination, Pavement Markings, and Signs.
- Reporting to various state and federal agencies, including NMED, NMDOT, EPA, ACE, and OSE.
- ADA Coordination, Self-Evaluations, and ADA Transition Plan.
915 N. 1st Street P.O. Box 1839
Bloomfield, NM 87413